Freelance Writing Online
Freelance writing has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. When I was just a little one, my parents attempted to bring me to a day care. Being the nervous and anxious child that I was, I cried the entire time I was there. My mother has told me time and time again of how she saw me looking out the window crying as she left. When she saw me, she couldn’t leave. After that, she began working as a freelance writer so that she could stay home with me.
As I grew up, I remember her freelance clients (mostly resumes and grants) coming and going from our home. I loved that I was able to stay at home during the summers and not attend camps and day cares like my friends did. We all got used to people coming in and out of our house and knew that when they were in the office, we weren’t to disturb or interrupt them (though I can’t say we always listened).
Yet as we came about the twenty-first century, the freelance writing industry has certainly changed. No longer do people need to visit an office, call, or fax about writing inquiries. Instead, we can hop online and find a freelance writer in less than a minute from anywhere around the world.
I followed in my mothers footsteps, so-to-speak, and do some freelance writing online on the side. See, when my wife and I decided to make paying off our debt our number one goal, we realized that we needed to make some sacrificing and really skimp on our money. We cut down expenses like crazy, formed our cash budget, and have been living off of as little as we can.
However, we also realized that simply saving money was not enough. With almost $200,000 in debt (read about how we racked up so much debt HERE), we knew we had to go even further if we wanted to pay off our debt as soon as possible. So, we began finding ways to make money online. Thus came the series you are reading about right now!
Here’s today’s post for our Make Money Online Series.
If this is your first time viewing our Make Money Online Series, please read this section.
-if not, feel free to skip ahead!-
The Make Money Online Series is a compilation of blog posts and guest posts discussing how it is possible to make extra cash online. When I first started my journey to pay off my debt fast and become debt free, I searched every possible nook and cranny to find options to earn extra money – in fact, I’m still looking! I scavenged the internet searching for options and signing up for everything that I possibly could.
Of course, this led to a bunch of spam and horrible programs that lie and do not actually help to make money online at all. SO, I’ve developed this series to help debunk those programs so that those of you who are in need of some extra cash, whether it’s because you’re tired of living paycheck to paycheck, want to pay off your debt fast, or want to find a way to support your family as a stay at home mom, won’t struggle to find tried and true methods to earn money online.
We’ll cover topics ranging from freelancing to blogging to direct sales to micro jobs, etc. and posts will be made every other day – so keep checking back for more or sign up for our weekly newsletter! For a compilation of all topics that have already been posted, click here (HERE).
If you have a topic that you would like us to cover, or a topic you would like to guest post on, let us know in the comments below! Thank you!
Freelance Writing: a passion & an income
Freelance writing can be a great way to earn a little extra money on the side – especially if you enjoy writing. When I was young, I would spend hours writing ‘books’ and stories: I loved it. As I grew up, the love of fiction stories never ended and I began to add poetry into the mix. At the start of college, I was positive I wanted to be a music teacher – orchestral specifically. However, as the years moved forward I fell back to my true passion once again: writing.
In fact, I even loved writing research papers (as silly as that may sound). I would put them off purposefully until the last minute just to challenge myself and see how quickly I could write them. I would brag about how I once researched and wrote a 26 page paper in less than eight hours while still coming in top three for highest grade in the class. I would even beg my friends to let me edit their research papers simply because I loved doing it. I was a weird student.
Anyway, when my wife and I realized that we needed some extra funds to help us to reach our goal of paying off almost $200,000 in debt aggressively, I decided it was the perfect time to put my skills to work. I set out looking for any freelance jobs I could get and began writing furiously for many differing companies. Through my freelance writing, I managed to pull in a good chunk of money. In fact, due to my writing and our side job here in town, we will not have to spend any money on Christmas gifts this holiday season!
So far, in the last 10 weeks, I have pulled in a couple hundred dollars freelance writing. I work roughly two hours a day at it (or less, depending on the day) and take weekends off. It’s been a great gig for us and it has helped us to keep our budget tight and pay off our debt quicker.
How to get started freelance writing
Where to look:
- Some great places to look for freelance writing jobs available now are:
What to expect:
- Freelance writing jobs range from product reviews to article submissions and everything in-between. While I can’t necessarily explain exactly what to expect, I can tell you a little bit:
- Don’t be afraid to accept a job that is a little out of your comfort zone if you are ready to put in the work and learn how to do it right.
- Don’t expect to make a ton right away. In order to get to the high paying jobs, you have to accept the shit jobs first – similar to most career paths.
- Be ready to work hard to get the job. You may send 50 queries before you get a few jobs, but that’s okay! Your hard work will eventually show through.
What to avoid:
- Content mills. If I can impart any wisdom on you at all through this blog post it would be this: do not sign up to work for a content mill. A content mill is a company that focuses on producing high quantities of content for businesses. Most of this content is low-quality. A good rule of thumb is this: if they are offering 1-3 cents per word, don’t do it. Take this advice from someone who has been there – it is not worth your time. Content mills force freelance writers to create high loads of content for very little money – often asking for a 500 word article, with research, for only $5-8 (sometimes less!). Stay away from content mills.
Do you have to be an expert to make money freelance writing?
- Does your writing have to be perfect? No & no, you can do freelance writing without any experience. As you continue down the path, you will gain experience and earn more money. It’s as simple as that. If you have a basic knowledge of writing papers and articles, you’re set to go!
Types of freelance writing gigs:
- Ghost Writing Novels
- Content Writing
- News Updates
- Niche Specific Writing (Sports, Cosmetic, Food, Finance, Wedding, etc.)
- Curriculum Writing
- Research Editing
- And More!
As with all positions, freelance writers need to be ready to work hard and consistently improve themselves in order to make any money or gain skills. If you are interested in becoming a freelance writer, I encourage you to go for it! It’s a wonderful way to earn an extra income while following your passion for writing.
Thank you for sticking around for our Make Money Online Series. A new post will be coming out soon – don’t forget to check back in!
If you have topics you would like to contribute or would like us to cover on how making extra cash is possible during our Make Money Online Series, please let us know in the comments below!
Thank you for reading!
Disclaimer: Some of DIY Jahn posts contain affiliate links. While I do earn money and bonuses for referring people, all of my opinions on the company are 100% honest. Also, please note that recipes, fitness tips, and financial tips are not given by a professional. To understand what this all means for you, click here.